When can I sue a builder for construction defects in my new home?

There are many cases where a homeowner can sue a construction company, contractor, or builder for poor quality of work. Lack of proper planning or construction can cause significant property damage from water leaks and cracked foundations, and may result in the homeowner having to leave the premises for weeks or months to allow for repairs.

While homeowners can potentially sue for any condition that reduces the value of their property, most construction defect lawsuits will fall into three categories:

  • Defects in design, workmanship, or materials.Poor construction and cheap or inadequate materials are a common basis of construction defect claims. A builder who cuts corners to save time or money is putting you and your property at risk of a variety of problems in the future, including faulty drainage, faulty plumbing, inadequate electrical wiring, poor environmental controls, improper security measures, poor insulation, and lack of proper firewall protection, and inadequate landscaping or irrigation.
  • Structural failures. Any condition that leads to structural failure or collapse can have devastating financial and physical consequences. Problems such as water leaking through roofs, slab leaks or cracks, improper joists or weight-bearing walls, improper foundation construction, fallen ceilings, and termite infestation can all lead to substantial property loss and damage.
  • Earth settlement issues. Construction companies and contractors have to pay special attention to land grades, water tables, and earth settlement conditions to make sure the structure will hold up in the surrounding environment. Landslides, expansive soils, underground water sources, improper soil compaction, poor grading, and improper drainage can cause internal damage to the house and can even make a home untenable.

How Can I Tell If Poor Construction Is to Blame for the Damage to my Home?

In order to bring a claim against a construction company, you will have to provide sufficient evidence that the builder or contractor was negligent in his work. One of the best ways to do this is by consulting with independent experts and property damage lawyers who are knowledgeable in your particular construction defect. At Wayne Wright LLP, we can examine the details of your case to find the likely source of property damage, and work with experts to prove the cause of damage in order to get you the settlement you need to rebuild. Call Wayne Wright LLP today at  210-888-8888 or complete a contact form on this page to have us explain your legal options in your free consultation!

Start Your Case

Fill out my online form.